The True Spirit of America Party would like to let President Obama and Congress know that attacking Syria is a foolish, reckless, and morally bankrupt "solution" to Syria's growing civil war. While we wholeheartedly condemn the atrocities committed by the Assad regime, we still do not believe that the United States should go to war with Syria. And here are the top ten reasons we oppose it:
10) Most of our own allies, including our staunchest ally of them all (the UK), oppose such action.
9) Going it alone unilaterally worked so well in Iraq, didn't it? Oh wait....
8) We risk another quagmire like Iraq, or worse. Air strikes alone would not solve anything, and would be like fighting fire with gasoline. A full-blown ground invasion would indeed effect regime change, but it would create a dangerous power vacuum like in Iraq. We may have won in Iraq, but it was a Pyrrhic victory, and one more such "victory" will likely be America's undoing.
7) We risk a far wider war than we are prepared for, possibly drawing in other countries such as Iran, Iraq, Israel, and Jordan. Perhaps even Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Russia. WWIII is a definite possibility!
6) Many of the rebels are affiliated with Al Qaeda, and perhaps other terrorist groups as well. Do we really want to inadvertently help them get into power over there?
5) We are still not 100% positive that the Assad regime was responsible for the chemical weapon attacks, since some rebels have supposedly admitted to "accidentally" doing it themselves. (That being said, we do know that the regime has deliberately killed countless innocent civilians over the past two years by conventional means)
4) Intervening in civil wars, at best, creates a temporary pause in the killing. At worst, it adds to the killing. There is really no military solution to the Syrian crisis, and killing a few hundred (or thousand) people just to make a point is probably the most morally bankrupt option of all.
3) America is not in a position for yet another war of choice. Now is
definitely NOT the time to risk so much blood and treasure. Focus on
rebuilding OUR nation instead. America needs to stop policing the world, mind our own business, and retire from that position now.
2) Syria is really not a credible threat to the security of the United States or its interests. They are NOT a clear and present danger to us.
1) Above all, a preemptive war of choice, absent an imminent threat to us or our allies, is always immoral, and two wrongs don't make a right.
We hope our leaders heed such advice before they decide to cross the Rubicon. Otherwise, this may be America's last war, and not in a good way. History speaks for itself.